Welcome to BreakingTheCycles.com – Founded in 2008 by Lisa Frederiksen to provide education, prevention and intervention services rooted in 21st Century brain and substance misuse-related science for a range of addiction-related concerns, including: substance misuse, mental illness, addiction as a brain disease, secondhand drinking, dual diagnosis, underage drinking, help for families, treatment, recovery, brain health and more.
Lisa’s goal in founding BreakingTheCycles.com was to change, and in some cases simply start, the conversations on these topics so that together we can end the stigma, misinformation and shame that keep over 120 million Americans stuck fighting something they truly don’t understand. This 120 million represents those struggling with their misuse of alcohol or other drugs and the people – typically family members and friends – who love them and try desperately to help them stop. She does this through presentations, workshops, consulting, blogging and media outreach (visit links to the right).
We Now Have the Science to Break the Cycles
Recall the early 1970s – many adults smoked cigarettes, we didn’t use bike helmets, infant car seats hadn’t been invented and we rarely used our seat belts. And think about how we viewed and treated HIV-Aids!
All of that changed drastically in just 20+ years — simply because people started talking about and sharing the new research and taking action as they gathered knowledge. Today, bike helmets are mandatory for children under 18, seat belts are mandatory for every passenger, fire departments install infant car seats, and HIV-Aids is recognized as a body fluid-to-body fluid transmitted disease that is “treated like this” and “prevented like this.”
It is Lisa’s hope we can do the same with substance misuse and addiction, which in turn will help the more than 100 million people who are also affected by a loved one’s alcohol or drug addiction or misuse behaviors, what Lisa Frederiksen has identified as Secondhand Drinking | Secondhand Drugging. These 100 million people – roughly one-third the American population – are the husbands, wives, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, boyfriends, girlfriends, aunts, uncles, close friends and in-laws of a loved one who misuses drugs or alcohol.
Today, there are 1.1 million Americans living with HIV. By contrast, there are 23.2 million Americans struggling with the brain disease of addiction (whether to drugs or alcohol), of which only 10 percent seek help.
The science is now available to boldly, unequivocally state, addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that can be “prevented like this” and “treated like this.” The science is now here to also help the 100 million Americans who struggle with Secondhand Drinking | Secondhand Drugging change how they cope and how they protect themselves from the negative impacts of a person’s drinking (or drugging) behaviors.
These following posts of Lisa’s share some of her passion for these objectives:
How can you add your voice to BreakingTheCycles.com?
- Comment on any one of the posts.
- Follow BTC on Facebook or Twitter at Break_Cycles
- Be a guest author – experts and others willing to share their personal experiences as they relate to the issues raised on this blog (browse through the Blog Categories and previous articles) are invited to share their work.
- Share what interests you with others – together we can end the stigma and shame that shrouds this disease and allows the cycle to continue.
Learn More About Lisa Frederiksen, Founder of BreakingTheCycles.com
39-year Career in Executive Management, Consulting, Speaking, Training, and Writing
- Most recent 13 years have studied current and state-of-the-art research on brain development, wiring, and mapping; toxic stress; substance use disorders; mental disorders; adverse childhood experiences; and related topics.
- Pioneered and articulated connections between neuroscience, social environment, and the developmental causes of substance use and mental disorders, offering new modalities/approaches as to prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery in individuals, families, and communities.
- Developed the concept of secondhand drinking – the negative impacts of a person’s drinking behaviors on others – to address the physical and emotional health and quality-of-life consequences for 90 million Americans who are affected by a person’s drinking behaviors.
- Founded BreakingTheCycles.BreakingTheCycles.com and SHD Prevention.
- Author of eleven books of which the most recent five are on substance use disorders and secondhand drinking, and include: Crossing The Line From Alcohol Use to Abuse to Dependence, Loved One In Treatment? Now What!, If You Loved Me, You’d Stop! and Secondhand Drinking: the Phenomenon That Affects Millions. Two have been translated into Spanish and published by Editores Mexicanos Unidos, S.A. and are titled: Si me amaras… dejarías de beber and Adicciones. and Codependencia, El ser querido bajo tratamiento… ¡Y ahora qué!
- Creator of the blog, BreakingTheCycles.com, and author of more than 800 blog posts, articles and guest posts.
- Creator of several short video programs for PennTV (San Mateo County Public Access Television), also available on BreakingTheCycles YouTube channel.
- 25 years of public speaking experience with most recent 15 as a National Keynote Speaker.
- Guest expert on a variety of television, radio, and Internet radio and podcast programs.
- Single Activity Provider for California Bar Association’s substance abuse/mental illness MCLE (continuing education) requirement (Provider #15372).
- Developed and produced a 46-minute online educational training video using 21st Century brain research explaining alcohol misuse, secondhand drinking, stress and brain health. This video is currently under license and being employed by the Kansas City Police Department and Ft. Irwin National Training Center.
- Family Program Consultant, Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services.
- Family Education and Program Consultant, Center for Enhanced Recovery.
- Provider of a variety of consulting services for over a decade to hundreds of individuals and families, some as far as Kenya, Slovenia and Mexico.
- Provider of education and implementation consulting services to businesses and public agencies.
Sample of Clients and Audiences
- Houston Chapter Texas Association of Addiction Professionals SPECTRUM Conference – Keynote
- Stanford Medical School Eating Disorders & Addiction Rotation students under Dr. Stanley Fischman – Class Lecturer
- Grandparents as Parents Lexington, Kentucky Conference – Keynote
- Kansas City Police Department Training Academy – Trainer
- Kaiser Redwood City Physical Therapists – Trainer
- Coalition of Behavioral Health Services Houston Family+Friends Recovery Resource Expo & Symposium – Keynote
- Center for Enhanced Recovery – Keynote
- Council of Nephrology Social Workers – Trainer
- Kaiser’s Northwest Employee Assistance Program Clinical Staff – Trainer
- Mississippi Association of Recovering Pharmacists – Speaker
- National Police Activities League (P.A.L.); California Police Activities League; San Mateo County Sheriff’s Activities League – Speaker
- San Mateo Union High School District Health Council – Trainer
- Andrew Hill High School Red Ribbon Week – Keynote
- Irwin National Training Center troops and personnel – Keynote
- S. Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region – Keynote
- S. Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region Health and Safety Officers – Speaker
- Salmon-Challis National Forest – Keynote
- Tahoe National Forest – Speaker
- Muir Wood Adolescent Teen Treatment and Family Services – Trainer
- The Delray Recovery Center and The Sequoia (Addiction Treatment) Center – Trainer
- County of Santa Clara Department of Alcohol & Drug Services Learning Institute – Trainer
- National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) Santa Clara – Speaker
- Santa Clara County Bar Association – Trainer
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Family Law Section – Speaker
BreakingTheCycles.com is a WOSB
BreakingTheCycles.com was founded in 2008 as part of Lisa Frederiksen Associates, LLC.
Lisa Frederiksen Associates, LLC, is a self-certified WOSB (Women-Owned Small Business), with the U.S. Small Business Administration, DUNS: 829591275, CAGE: 5BCQ6, https://www.sam.gov/portal/public/SAM
WEBSITE COPYRIGHT and DISCLAIMER
©2008-2016, Lisa Frederiksen, BreakingTheCycles.com. All data and information on this website is provided for informational purposes only. The information on this website is provided on an “as is” basis and is not designed or intended to constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to be used for diagnosis, treatment or referral services. You should consult your own personal physician and/or an addiction or mental health agency or specialist to determine the appropriateness of the information for your specific situation and before making any decision regarding treatment and/or medication. BreakingTheCycles.com does not endorse any content provided by any linked sites on this website, nor does it assume any responsibility for the interpretation or application of any information originating from such content. Additionally, the research on which this information is based is advancing rapidly so facts, resources and links cited may have changed. BreakingTheCycles.com shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any injury, loss, errors, inaccuracies, omissions or damage caused or alleged to have been caused, directly or indirectly, by the information contained on this blog/website. Additionally, we reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions or to update the information contained herein at anytime without prior notice.