Questions about alcohol and drugs?
Introducing NowWeKnow – a new FREE app providing better answers to common questions about Alcohol Abuse | Drug Addiction Treatment | Marijuana Use by Teens | Secondhand Drinking | Mental Illness | Substance Abuse Prevention | Codependency | Underage Drinking and more.
Because they are based on science, science simplified so it can be easily understood by the non-scientist.
And, where is this science coming from?
Thanks to advancements in imaging technologies and the funding and collaborative research efforts of the Decade of the Brain (1990s) and the Decade of Discovery (2000s) - likened to those of the decade of the 1960s when President Kennedy challenged the country to put a man on the moon before the end of the decade (and we did it!) – there’s been an explosion in brain and addiction-related research and discovery. This research – these discoveries – is/are nothing short of profound. It’s changing the conversations.
When we recall what it was like to:
watch three men in a space capsule blast through the earth’s atmosphere, two of them to land on the moon while the third one did lunar orbits, the two to get out of the moon landing capsule, speak so we could hear them on our TVs and radios at home, have them get back in the lunar landing capsule, lift off the moon and reconnect with the orbiting capsule, re-enter the earth’s atmosphere, land in the Pacific Ocean and walk away
…all at a time when a simple computer required about three living-rooms of space – we get some idea of the times we are in with regards to understanding the issues listed in the opening paragraph.
As Armstrong said when he stepped onto the moon’s surface, “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” we are in that giant leap for answers to questions about alcohol and drugs that previously defied logic.
This research is being conducted and/or reported by scores of national and international agencies and organizations, including the:
NIH National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
NIH National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
NIH National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
World Health Organization (WHO)
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
American Medical Association (AMA)
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Agency (SAMHSA)
American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).
About the App – NowWeKnow – Providing Better (Science Based) Answers About Alcohol and Drugs
Do you worry about a friend’s drinking? Wonder about secondhand drinking? Are you taking more Vicodin than prescribed? Do you think addiction is a choice? Can teens really become alcoholics | addicts or is it just a phase? Do you think depression is real?
There’s a whole new body of brain and addiction-related research that’s shedding new light on these age-old questions. We now know:
- Approximately 19M adults live with major depression–a serious medical illness.
- Young adults 18-20 have the highest rate of alcoholism of any age group in the U.S.
- Addiction is a brain disease that renders “choice” impossible if the person with the disease uses any amount of the drug or alcohol to which they’re addicted.
- Taking more of any medication than is prescribed is a sign of drug abuse.
- Secondhand drinking is what happens to the person on the receiving end of someone’s drinking behaviors (DUI, verbal abuse)
- It only takes 5 ounces of wine to equal one “standard drink.”
Disagree? Want to know more? It’s all at NowWeKnow–the official app of Lisa Frederiksen and BreakingTheCycles.com.
- Find quick facts about drinking alcohol | drug use | mental illness | secondhand drinking | addiction treatment | recovery | and related topics.
- Listen to podcast interviews.
- Watch short videos.
- Get the most reliable answers based on the most current, expert research.
Try It – It’s Free
Click here to download this free app from either the Apple Store (iPhone, iPad, iTuens) or Google Play (Android, Tablet). NowWeKnow is the official app of Lisa Frederiksen and BreakingTheCycles.com.